Thursday, December 16, 2010

Thirty One Thursdays - Introduction

Proverbs 31:10-31. It can be the greatest source of encouragement or the most brutal pond of reflection. Ha. We read a description of what seems to be the perfect woman. She's a gal with a plan and a purpose and the ability to execute. And all with a smile on her face and song in her heart, of course. This passage can be an intimidating read, but I've been thinking lately that there must be more to grasp in this passage than just "Man I feel like crap after reading that."

Proverbs 31 sets forth quite the ideal when it comes to womanly achievement. But I'd like to believe it wouldn't be there at all if there wasn't some quality of attainability within it. The woman described is a rare find, of more value than any jewel, but maybe we can become this rare woman.

So I present to you Thirty One Thursdays. It is a study, a realization, a challenge. Over the next 22 weeks we will use Thursdays at Life On Purpose to dive into this passage of scripture. Each week we will look at one verse and only one verse. We'll break it all down nice and slow, like an awkward middle school dance. How do you feel about it? What does it mean? Am I supposed to do that? CAN I do that?? And each week there will be an Action Step to go along with the verse. Sometimes it will be something simple to help us remember what we read. Sometimes it will be something a little more complicated to really help us apply what we read. Sometimes it will be funny or weird or moving or require us to change. But there will be something, each week, to help us better understand (and perhaps better emulate) the woman we're reading about.

I would love for you to join me. And I would love for you to commit to participating in Thirty One Thursdays. (Don't be scared of commitment!) If you're going to join in the fun, simply leave a comment below. Tell us that you're jumping in with us and WHY. Do you want some study direction? Do you want to see what strange challenges we're going to do? Are you ready for a change? No matter what the reason, let us know you'll be here on Thursdays. We will form an online club of crazy, motivated women!

CHALLENGE FOR INTRO WEEK:
-Comment below telling us you're in and why.
-Read Proverbs 31:10-31 once a day this week. And if you're really feeling ambitious go ahead and write a short response after reading.

NEXT THURSDAY'S VERSE:
"A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies."
Proverbs 31:10; NIV

2 comments:

  1. Well, I can't be the only woman out their that is interested in this challenge.
    I love Proverbs. I am often humbled by Provebs. Reading Proverbs 31 intimidates me to be honest but... I know it is good for me and I would love to study and grow from it. While I can not promise to be online every Thursday night, I am going to attempt to read each Thursday post and follow the "challenge."
    May God Bless you for this endevour and may He grant us all success in our journey to Him. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. I am jumping in now. I need to study and read my bible and have a really hard time with both. This sounds great. I see I am starting this MONTHS late. Is there a way to start at the beginning?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...